The Bachelor of Science degree program in Mechanical Engineering and the Bachelor of Science degree program in Industrial Engineering are both accredited by the Engineering Accreditation Commission of ABET (www.abet.org).
Graduates of the B.S. in Mechanical Engineering Degree Program and the graduates of the B.S. in Industrial Engineering Degree Program will be able to achieve the following professional objectives:
- Think critically, creatively and rigorously and employ engineering methods to identify and solve important problems in industry, business, government and academe.
- Communicate effectively and function cooperatively in professional contexts.
- Approach professional practice responsibly and ethically and with an awareness of business, environmental, safety, cultural, societal and global concerns.
- Demonstrate professional leadership.
- Employ their engineering education as a foundation for advanced study, life-long learning and career development in engineering, management and other professional fields.
Students who graduate with a B.S. degree in Mechanical or Industrial Engineering will have:
- An ability to apply knowledge of mathematics, science, and engineering
- An ability to design and conduct experiments, as well as to analyze and interpret data
- An ability to design a system, component, or process to meet desired needs within realistic constraints such as economic, environmental, social, political, ethical, health and safety, manufacturability, and sustainability
- An ability to function on multi-disciplinary teams
- An ability to identify, formulate, and solve engineering problems
- An understanding of professional and ethical responsibility
- An ability to communicate effectively
- The broad education necessary to understand the impact of engineering solutions in a global, economic, environmental, and societal context
- A recognition of the need for, and an ability to engage in life-long learning
- A knowledge of contemporary issues
- An ability to use the techniques, skills, and modern engineering tools necessary for engineering practice
Enrollment and Graduation Data
Mechanical and Industrial Engineering degree program enrollment and graduation data can be found in the University Factbook which can be found on the web pages of University Office of Institutional Research (www.umass.edu/oapa/oir). Enrollment data for the current and previous years can be found at www.umass.edu/oapa/publications/factbooks/enrollment/FB_en_03.pdf. Graduation data by program for the current year can be found at www.umass.edu/oapa/publications/factbooks/degrees/FB_de_05.pdf. Graduation data for previous years and other relevant program data can be found in the Factbooks published for previous years. These can be found at www.umass.edu/oapa/oir/factbook.php