University of Massachusetts
160 Governors Drive
Amherst, MA 01003-2210
B.E: Production Engineering, Regional Engineering College, Trichy, India, 2000
M.S: Industrial Engineering, Arizona State University, 2002
Ph.D: Industrial Engineering, Arizona State University, 2006
Operations research applied to healthcare delivery, specifically patient access management and medical decision making and health policy; scheduling theory and algorithms; combinatorial optimization; heuristics; genetic algorithms.
- Balasubramanian, H., Muriel, A., Oh, H., Atkinson, K., and Ptaszkiewicz, T., Guide-
- ines for scheduling in primary care under different patient types and stochastic nurseand provider service times: An empirically driven mathematical programming approach, submitted.
- Balasubramanian, H., Biehl, S., Dai, L., Muriel, A., Dynamic allocation of same-day requests in the presence of prescheduled appointments, accepted in Health Care Management Science.
- Khowala, K., Fowler, J., Keha, A., and Balasubramanian, H., Single machine scheduling with interfering job sets, second round review, Computers and Operations Research.
- Stahl, J., Balasubramanian, H., Gao, X., Overko, S., Fosburgh, B., Optimizing outpatient residency training: a method for balancing clinical experience with access to care, first round revisions for Medical Decision Making.
- Liu, N., Ozen, A. , Balasubramanian, H., Primary care practice redesign: joint consideration of access to care and continuity of care, under revision.
- Henneman, P., Beck, E. , Balasubramanian, H., Li, H., Campbell, M., A transparent and validated model of emergency care to study input, throughput and output variables in emergency department crowding, under revision.
- Ozen, A., and Balasubramanian, H., The impact of case-mix on timely access to appointments to a primary care group practice, online at Health Care Management Science, 2012, DOI: 10.1007/s10729-012-9214-y.
- Zhang, J., Denton, B., Balasubramanian, H., Shah, N., and Inman, B., Optimization of prostate biopsy referral decisions, Manufacturing and Service Operations Management: Special Healthcare Issue, Fall 2012, 14: 529-547.
- IE Professor of the Year Award (student elected), 2012 and 2013
- NSF CAREER Award, 2013
General Chair, INFORMS Northeastern Regional Conference, Amherst, MA, May
- Program Chair, INFORMS Healthcare Conference, June 2013
- Area Editor, IIE Trasactions