James F. Manwell
8 Gunness Lab
University of Massachusetts
160 Governors Drive
Amherst, MA 01003-2210
B.A. Biophysics, Amherst College, 1970;
M.S., University of Massachusetts, l977;
Ph.D., University of Massachusetts, 1981
- Offshore wind energy system design and analysis
- Effect of external conditions (wind and waves) on the design of offshore wind turbines
- Hybrid power (wind/photovoltaics/diesel) system design and analysis
- Modeling of battery storage systems
- Remote sensing techniques applied to wind resource assessment
- J. F. Manwell, C. Elkinton, A. Rogers, J. G. McGowan, "Review of Design Conditions Applicable to Offshore Wind Energy in the United States," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews (Elsevier ), 11, No. 2, pp. 183-364, February, 2007.
- L. Rogers, J. W. Rogers, J. F. Manwell, "Comparison of the Performance of Four Measure-Correlate-Predict Algorithms, Journal of Wind Engineering and Industrial Aerodynamics, 93, No. 3, pp. 243-264, March 2005.
- J. F. Manwell and J. G. McGowan, "A Combined Probabilistic/ Time Series Model for Wind Diesel Systems Simulation," Solar Energy, 53 (6), pp. 481- 490, 1994.
- J. F. Manwell and J. G. McGowan, "Lead Acid Battery Storage Model for Hybrid Energy Systems," Solar Energy, 50, No. 5, pp. 399-405, 1993.
- J. F. Manwell and R. H. Kirchhoff, "Wind Energy from Turbulence: Constant Tip Speed Ratio Operation," Solar Energy, 34, No. l, pp. 59-67, l985.
- The University of Massachusetts Distinguished Research Outreach Award in 2007
- American Wind Energy Association Academic Achievement Award in 1994 and 2006
- Western Reserve Academy’s Edward W. Morley Science Medal in 2005
- U. S. Department of Energy Wind Energy Regional Advocacy Award in 2004
- U. S. Department of Energy Wind/Diesel Systems Pioneer Award, 2002