120G Marston Hall
University of Massachusetts
160 Governors Drive
Amherst, MA 01003-2210
B.S., University of Iowa, 2003;
M.S., University of Wisconsin - Madison, 2004;
Ph.D., University of Wisconsin - Madison, 2007
Modeling how individuals gather and use information to make complex decisions, particularly in the area of health information technology (IT).
- Marquard, J., Jo, J., Henneman, P., Fisher, D., & Henneman, B. (2012). Can visualizations complement our choices of quantitative process analysis measures? A case study of nurses identifying patients before administering medications. Journal of Cognitive Engineering and Decision Making, forthcoming.
- Radhakrishnan, K., Jacelon, C., Bigelow, C., Roche, J., & Marquard, J. (2012). Use of a homecare electronic health record (EHR) to find associations between patient characteristics and hospitalizations for heart failure patients using telehealth services. Journal of Telehealth and Telecare, forthcoming.
- Mertens, W., Christov, S., Avrunin, G., Clarke, L., Osterweil, L., Cassels, L., & Marquard, J. (2012). Using process elicitation and validation to understand and improve chemotherapy ordering and delivery. Joint Commission Journal on Quality and Patient Safety, forthcoming.
- Henneman, P., Marquard, J., Fisher, D., Bleil, J., Walsh, B., Henneman, J., Blank, F., Higgins, A.M., Nathanson, B., & Henneman, E. (2012). Barcode verification: Reducing but not eliminating medication errors. Journal of Nursing Administration, forthcoming.
- Lopez, M., Esparza, A., Lavine, M, & Marquard, J. (2012). Your textbook can’t help you here: Applying traditional methods to atypical data. Chance, forthcoming. (educational article in collaboration with statistics graduate students)
- Radhakrishnan, K., Jacelon, C., Bigelow, C., Roche, J., Marquard, J., & Bowles, K. (2012). Association of comorbidities with home care service utilization of patients with heart failure while receiving telehealth. Journal of Cardiovascular Nursing, May 10 Epub ahead of print.
- Marquard, J. & Zayas-Cabán, T. (2012). Commercial off-the-shelf consumer health interventions: Recommendations for their design, evaluation, and redesign. Journal of the American Medical Informatics Association, 19(1), 137-42.
- Marquard, J., Henneman, P., He, Z., Jo, J., Fisher, D., & Henneman, E. (2011). Nurses’ behaviors and visual scanning patterns may reduce patient identification errors. Journal of Experimental Psychology: Applied, 17(3), 247-56.
- Marquard, J., Duffey, N., & Lin, Q.M. (2011). Consumer decision-making strategies and use of hospital quality measures. Quality Management Journal, 18(4), 25-35.
- Mei, Y.Y., Marquard, J., Jacelon, C., & DeFeo, A. (2011). Designing and evaluating an electronic patient falls reporting system: Perspectives for the implementation of health information technology in long-term residential care facilities. International Journal of Medical Informatics, Apr 9 Epub ahead of print.
- Marquard, J. & Brennan, P. F. (2009). Crying wolf: Consumers may be more willing to share medication information than policymakers expect. Journal of Healthcare Information Management, 23(2), 26-32.
- Ghosh, T., & Marquard, J. (2007). Development of regional health information organizations (RHIOs): knowledge networks and collaboration. International Journal of Public Policy, 2(3/4).
Marquard, J., Moen, A., & Brennan, P.F. (2006). Photographic data – An untapped resource to explore complex phenomena such as health information and management in the household (HIMH). Studies in Health Technology and Informatics, 122, 58-62.
- University of Massachusetts Amherst College of Engineering Barbara H. and Joseph I. Goldstein Outstanding Junior Faculty Award, 2012
- University of Massachusetts Amherst Team-Based Learning Fellowship, 2012-2013
- National Science Foundation (NSF) CAREER Award, 2012
- University of Massachusetts Amherst Lilly Teaching Fellowship, 2011-2012
- Industrial Engineering Advisor of the Year (Student Voted), 2011, 2012
- Industrial Engineering Professor of the Year (Student Voted), 2010, 2011
- National Science Foundation Graduate Research Fellowship, 2003-2006
- Best Poster Award, Tromso Telemedicine and eHealth Conference, 2004
- Presidential Scholar, University of Iowa, 1999
- Engineering Excellence Scholar, University of Iowa College of Engineering, 1999