Robert W. Hyers
University of Massachusetts
160 Governors Drive
Amherst, MA 01003-2210
S.B., Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 1992;
Ph.D., Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 1998
High-temperature materials; Condition monitoring and prognosis of structures; Physics-based modeling of materials processing and failure
- R.W. Hyers, J.G. McGowan, K.L. Sullivan, J.F. Manwell, and B.C. Syrett, "Condition Monitoring and Prognosis of Utility-Scale Wind Turbines: A Critical Review", Energy Materials: Materials Science and Engineering for Energy Systems, vol. 1, no. 3, 2006, pp. 187-203.
- J. Lee, R.C. Bradshaw, R.W. Hyers, , J.R. Rogers, T.J. Rathz, J.J. Wall, H. Choo, P.K. Liaw, "Non-Contact Measurement of Creep Resistance of Ultra-High-Temperature Materials", Materials Science and Engineering A, vol. 463, pp. 185-196, 2007.
- D.M. Matson and R. W. Hyers, "Adiabatic Remelting of the Mushy-zone during Rapid Solidification", Philosophical Magazine, vol. 86, no. 24, 2006, pp. 3795-3807.
- A. B. Hanlon, D. M. Matson, R. W. Hyers, "Internal Convective Effects on the Lifetime of the Metastable Phase in Undercooled Fe-Cr-Ni Alloys", Philosophical Magazine Letters, Vol. 86, No. 03, 2006, pp. 165 – 174.
- R.W. Hyers, "Fluid Flow in Levitated Drops", invited review paper, Measurement Science and Technology, vol. 16, no. 2, 2005, pp. 394-401.
- Brimacombe Medal, TMS, 2012
- NASA Faculty Fellowship, 2012
- Ralph R. Teetor Educational Award, SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) International, 2008
- Professor of the Year, Mechanical Engineering, 2006 and 2005, University of Massachusetts, Amherst.
- Advisor of the Year, Mechanical Engineering, 2007 and 2004, University of Massachusetts, Amherst.
- Editors’ Choice for Physics by Science (May 30, 2003, pp.1345-6) for our paper (Phys. Rev. Let. 90, 195504, May 2003).
- NASA Special Service Award, 2000 and 2001.