List of Honors by Individual Faculty Members
Dr. Erin Baker
- Energy, Environment, and Natural Resources Best Publication in Sustainability (2017)
- Armstrong Professional Development Professorship, 2017
- College of Engineering 2016 Outstanding Senior Faculty Award
- Higher Education Resource Services (HERS) Institute Participant 2015-2016
- 2014 Distinguished Graduate Mentor Award
- The 2009 Campbell Watkins Energy Journal Best Paper Award
- NSF CAREER Award, 2008
- IEOR Advisor of the Year, 2005, 2006
- Runner-Up, Decision Analysis Society Student Award, INFORMS 2003
- Food Research Institute Fellowship, Stanford, 1995-1998
- Second Year Honors awarded to the most outstanding second-year mathematics student at U.C. Berkeley, 1984
Dr. Hari Balasubramanian
- NSF CAREER Award, 2013-2018
- IE Professor of the Year Award (student elected), 2012, 2013, and 2014
- Program Chair, INFORMS Healthcare Conference, June 2013
General Chair, INFORMS Northeastern Regional Conference, Amherst, MA, May
- Finalist, Doing Good with Operations Research Competition, Institute of Operations Research and Management Science (INFORMS), 2010, for the paper, “Optimization of Prostate Biopsy Referral Decisions”
- Finalist, Pierskalla Award for Healthcare Operations Management, Institute of Operations Research and Management Science (INFORMS), 2010, for the paper, “Optimization of Prostate Biopsy Referral Decisions”
- Area Editor, IIE Transactions
Dr. Muge Capan
- NSF Smart and Connected Health (SCH) INT Collaborative Research Award, Principal Investigator, 2015-2018
- National Library of Medicine of the National Institutes of Health (NIH) R01 Award, Co-Investigator, 2016-2020
- ACCEL Clinical and Translational Research (CTR) Pilot Grant, Principal Investigator, 2015-2017
- ACCEL Clinical Translational Research (CTR) Shovel Ready Pilot Grant, Co-Investigator, 2017
- NIGMS Delaware INBRE Award, Collaborator, 2014-2019
- INFORMS Women in ORMS Family Care Award, 2019
Dr. Yossi Chait
- 2013, Lady Davis Fellow, the Technion, Haifa, Israel.
- 2008, Lady Davis Fellow, the Technion, Haifa, Israel.
- 2006, US patent #7,085,236, Active queue management for differentiated services.
- 2004, Fellow, American Society of Mechanical Engineers.
- 2002, Lady Davis Fellow, the Technion, Haifa, Israel.
- 2002, Academic Guest, Swiss Federal Institute of Technology, ETH, Zürich, Switzerland
- 2000, Honorary Member, Pi Tau Sigma.
- 2000, Outstanding Advisor Service Award, College of Engineering and Joint Student Engineering Societies
- 1996, Dutch Systems Network Professorship, Delft University of Technology, Delft, The Netherlands.
- 1996, Visiting Professor, Tel Aviv University, Tel Aviv, Israel.
Dr. Wen Chen
- SME Outstanding Young Manufacturing Engineer, 2022
- Acta Best Paper Award, The Acta Journals, 2016
- Second Place Poster Award, 11th International Bulk Metallic Glasses Conference, 2016
- Chinese Government Award for Outstanding Oversea Students, 2016
- Pierre W. Hoge Fellowship, Yale University, 2011 - 2015
- "Outstanding Reviewer" awarded by Materials Science and Engineering: A, 2015
Dr. Kourosh Danai
- Fellow of ASME, 2003
- Recipient of NASA Technical Innovation Award for the technical report "Detecting Faults in Helicopter Gearboxes by the MVIM Method,'' Aug. 1996.
- Recipient of NASA Technical Innovation Award for the technical report "Diagnosing Helicopter Gearboxes Using Connectionist Networks,'' Jan. 1997.
- Recipient of NASA Technical Innovation Award for the technical report ``Model-Based Placement of Gearbox-Monitoring Accelerometers,'' Jan. 1997.
- Professor of the year, Mechanical Engineering, Univ. of Massachusetts, 1987/88
- Professor of the year, Mechanical Engineering, Univ. of Massachusetts, 1992/93
- Professor of the year, Mechanical Engineering, Univ. of Massachusetts, 2006/07
- General Electric Outstanding Teaching Award, Univ. of Massachusetts, 1990/91
Dr. Xian Du
- NSF CAREER Award (2020)
- UMass TIDE Ambassador (2019/2020)
Dr. Donald L. Fisher
- Volpe National Transportation Systems Center, Cambridge, MA, Faculty Fellow, June 2013 –
- Liberty Mutual Best Paper Award, Ergonomics 2009, Juried by Editors of Ergonomics (Pradhan A K, Pollatsek A, Knodler M and Fisher D L, Can younger drivers be trained to scan for information that will reduce their risk in roadway traffic scenarios that are hard to identify as hazardous? Ergonomics, 52, 657 – 673).
- University of Massachusetts Amherst Foundation Board Award for Outstanding Achievement, 2008.
- Outstanding Advisor of the Year, Department of Mechanical and Industrial Engineering, University of Massachusetts at Amherst, 2007 – 2008
- Outstanding Senior Faculty Award, College of Engineering, University of Massachusetts, 2000
- Minority Engineering Program Recognition Award, Minority Engineering Program, College of Engineering, University of Massachusetts, 1997
- Outstanding Advisor Service Award, College of Engineering and Joint Student Engineering Societies, University of Massachusetts, 1996
- Outstanding Junior Faculty Award, College of Engineering, University of Massachusetts, 1986
- Dow Outstanding Young Faculty Award, American Society for Engineering Education, 1985
Dr. Chaitra Gopalappa
- Invited talk, National Academy of Sciences’ Kavli Frontiers of Science fellow, 2016
- Pritsker Doctoral Dissertation Award, Institute of Industrial Engineers, 3rd Place, 2011
- Finalist presentation, Pierskalla Best Paper Award, Institute for Operations Research and Management Sciences (INFORMS), 2010
- Graduate Student Challenge Grant, University of South Florida, 2009
- Summer researcher, Cancer Care Engineering project, Purdue University, Funded by Regenstrief Foundation, Purdue University, 2008
Dr. Ian R. Grosse
- 2018 ASME Computers and Information in Engineering Distinguished Service Award
- 2003 ASME Computers and Information in Engineering Conference Best Paper award
- Outstanding Teaching Award, College of Engineering, University of Massachusetts, February 1993
- 1990 ASME International Computers in Engineering Conference Best Paper Award
Dr. Robert W. Hyers
- Brimacombe Medal, TMS (The Minerals, Metals, and Materials Society), 2012
- NASA Faculty Fellowship, 2012
- Ralph R. Teetor Educational Award, SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) International, 2008
- Professor of the Year, Mechanical Engineering, 2006 and 2005, University of Massachusetts, Amherst.
- Advisor of the Year, Mechanical Engineering, 2007 and 2004, University of Massachusetts, Amherst.
- Young Leader Intern, Extraction and Processing Division, 2005, TMS
- Editors’ Choice for Physics by Science (May 30, 2003, pp.1345-6) for our paper (Phys. Rev. Let. 90, 195504, May 2003).
- NASA Special Service Award, 2000 and 2001
Dr. Juan Jiménez
2019 NSF CAREER Award
2016 BMES Innovation and Career Development Award
2013 Poster Presentation Prize - 42nd Annual Philadelphia Workshop on Hemostasis, Thrombosis and Atherosclerosis
2011 - 2016 Mentored Quantitative Research Development Award - NIH
2007-2010 Ruth L. Kirschstein Institutional National Research Service Award – NIH
Dr. Sundar Krishnamurty
- Fellow, American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME)
- Elected Member, Department Head/Chair Executive Committee, ASME
- Site-Director, NSF-I/UCRC Center for e-Design
- Associate Director, Center for Personalized Health Monitoring, UMass Institute for Applied Life Sciences
- Member, Innovation & Entrepreneurship Task Force, UMass Amherst
- Stavros Paul Winske Access Award for work on Assistive Technology
- Two NSF I-Corps Awards (first one on campus to receive this award)
Dr. Matthew Lackner
- Best Paper Finalist, 30th ASME Wind Energy Symposium, Nashville, TN, 2012.
- Best Wind Energy Paper, Journal of Solar Energy Engineering, 2009.
Dr. Jae Hwang Lee
- 2016 UMass Science & Technology Initiative Award
- 2010, 2011 & 2014 Ames Laboratory-DOE Inventor Award
- 2009 Materials Research Society (MRS) Boston Best Poster Award
- 2007 International Symposium on Photonic & Electromagnetic Crystal Structures (PECS) Outstanding Poster Award
Dr. James F. Manwell
- The University of Massachusetts Distinguished Research Outreach Award in 2007
- American Wind Energy Association Academic Achievement Award in 1994 and 2006
- Western Reserve Academy’s Edward W. Morley Science Medal in 2005
- U. S. Department of Energy Wind Energy Regional Advocacy Award in 2004
- U. S. Department of Energy Wind/Diesel Systems Pioneer Award, 2002
Dr. Ana Muriel
- 2017 IISE Best Track Paper, IISE Conference, Pittsburgh, PA.
- 2015 Leadership Award Finalist, Pratt & Whitney, E. Hartford, CT.
- 2015 Diversity Ally, College of Engineering, UMass Amherst
- 2009 INFORMS Moving Spirit Award.
- Premio Nacional de I+D en Logística Integral (National R&D Award in Logistics), 1er Congreso de Logística y Gestión de la Cadena de Suministro, Zaragoza, Spain, Sept.’07.
- Best Paper Award in the Closed Loop Supply Chain Track, POMS-Dallas, May 2007.
- “2007, 2010, 2013, and 2015 IE Advisor of the Year,” UMass Amherst.
- 2006-2007 Community Service Learning Fellow, University of Massachusetts Amherst.
- “2004 Meritorious Service Award,” Operations Research, An INFORMS Journal.
- Oberwolfach NSF Fellow, 2004.
- Ramón y Cajal Award, from the Ministry of Science and Technology in Spain, 2004.
- Nominated for 2003 and 2011 Distinguished Teaching Award, U. of Massachusetts.
- “2003 and 2009 IE Professor of the Year,” University of Massachusetts Amherst.
- National Science Foundation CAREER Award, 2002.
- “2001 Meritorious Service Award,” Operations Research, An INFORMS Journal.
Dr. Blair Perot
- J.M. Burgers Visiting Professor, Delft University of Technology, Netherlands, 2003-2004
- Lilly Fellowship, Center for Teaching, 2002-2003.
- Joseph Goldstein Award for Outstanding Junior Faculty, University of Massachusetts, 2002.
- College Outstanding Teacher Award, University of Massachusetts, 2002.
- College Outstanding Advisor Award, University of Massachusetts, 2000.
Dr. Jinglei Ping
- NIH Trailblazer Award, 2022
- Air Force Office of Scientific Research YIP Award, 2020
Dr. Ashwin Ramasubramaniam
- Department of Energy (DOE) Office of Science Early Career Research Program Award, 2013
- William N. Findley Award for the best paper on the “Mechanical Behavior of Materials,” Brown University, 2005
- Materials Research Society Graduate Student Silver Award, 2004
- University Fellowship, Brown University, 1999
Dr. James R. Rinderle
- College of Engineering, Outstanding Teaching Award, 2012
- MIE Department, Advisor of the Year Award, 2012
- MIE Department Teaching Award, 2011
- MIE Department Teaching Award, 2009
- MIE Department Teaching Award, 1997
- National Science Foundation Presidential Young Investigator Award, 1985
- Pi Tau Sigma, Mechanical Engineering Honorary Society, 1985
- Sigma Xi, Scientific Research Society, 1985
Dr. Shannon Roberts
- Lilly Teaching Fellow, University of Massachusetts Amherst, 2021 – 2022
- ADVANCE Faculty Fellow, University of Massachusetts Amherst, 2021 – 2022
- Center for Research on Families Scholar, University of Massachusetts Amherst, 2018 – 2019
- Dwight David Eisenhower Transportation Fellow, U.S. Department of Transportation, 2013 – 2014
- Graduate Engineering Research Scholar, University of Wisconsin Madison, 2013 – 2014
Dr. Jonathan Rothstein
University of Massachusetts – Amherst College of Engineering Outstanding Faculty Award (2020)
Society of Rheology Distinguished Service Award (2019)
University of Massachusetts – Amherst College of Engineering Outstanding Teacher Award (2015)
- Received Professor of the Year Award from the Mechanical Engineering Department at the University of Massachusetts, 2012
- Received Professor of the Year Award from the Mechanical Engineering Department at the University of Massachusetts, 2011
- Arthur B. Metzner Early Career Award from the Society of Rheology in recognition of outstanding accomplishments in the field of rheology, 2009
- Barbara H. and Joseph I. Goldstein Outstanding Junior Faculty Award from the University of Massachusetts College of Engineering, 2007
- Received Office of Naval Research (ONR) Young Investigator Program (YIP) Award, 2006
- Received National Science Foundation (NSF) Faculty Early Career Development (CAREER) Award, 2006
- Received the Advisor of the Year Award from the Mechanical Engineering Department at the University of Massachusetts, 2006
- Received the Professor of the Year Award from the Mechanical Engineering Department at the University of Massachusetts, 2004
- With Erik Miller, received the Young Scientists Award within the RheofuturesTM Initiative 2004 for “outstanding and innovative contribution in the area of material characterization.”, 2004
- Received 3M Nontenured Faculty Award 2003 With Joshua Lampe received a University of Massachusetts Engineering Alumni Association scholarship for excellence in undergraduate student-faculty research projects, 2003
- Received the Frenkiel Award from the American Physics Society Division of Fluid Dynamics in recognition of significant contributions to fluid mechanics published in Physics of Fluids, 2002
Dr. David P. Schmidt
- Ralph R. Teetor Educational Award, Society of Automotive Engineering, 2009
- Awarded Fellowship by the Institute for Advanced Studies, University of Bologna, 2006
- Best Paper in Conference, ASME Internal Combustion Engine Division, 2003
- College of Engineering Commencement Speaker, 2003
- Student-selected Mechanical Engineering Professor of the Year, 2003
- Student-selected Mechanical Engineering Advisor of the Year, 2003
- Office of Naval Research Young Investigator Award, 2002
Dr. J. MacGregor Smith
- IE Professor of the Year Award 2005,2006,2007
- Best Paper Award, IIE Transactions on Manufacturing Systems (2004-2005) with Frederico Cruz
- Best Paper Award, Computational Optimization and Applications (2008) with P.M. Hahn, B.-J. Kim, M. Guignard, and Y.-R. Zhu
Patent No.: US 7,710,878 B1 Method and System for Allocating Traffic Demands in a Ring Network
Inventors: Peter Kubat and James MacGregor Smith Date of Patent: May 4, 2010.
Dr. Yubing Sun
- NSF CAREER Award, 2019
- ProQuest Distinguished Dissertation Awards, Honorable Mention, UMich, 2015
- Chinese Government Award for Outstanding Self-Financed Students Abroad, CSC, 2014
- Robert M. Caddell Memorial Award for Research, UMich, 2014
- Rackham Conference Travel Grant, UMich, 2012, 2013, 2014
- Rackham International Students Fellowship, UMich, 2011
- Department Fellowship, Department of Mechanical Engineering, UMich, 2010
- Lixun Scholarship, Institute of Metal Research, Chinese Academy of Sciences, 2009
- Ya Yang Scholarship, USTC Alumni Foundation, 2008
- Outstanding Student Scholarship (Grade1), USTC, 2007, 2008
- National Lizhi Scholarship, Ministry of Education of the P. R. China, 2007
- 813 Award, USTC Alumni Foundation, 2007
Dr. Frank Sup
- BusinessWest 2022 Healthcare Heroes Award for Elaine Marieb Center for Nursing and Engineering Innovation, 2022
- Marion and Jasper Whiting Foundation Fellowship - Enable study abroad to simulate and improve instruction, 2018
- Paul Winske Access Award, Stavros Center for Independent Living - Exceptional service to persons with disabilities, 2014
- TNSRE Best Paper Award, International Conference on Rehabilitation Robotics (ICORR), 2009
- Young Researcher Travel Award, International Conference on Rehabilitation Robotics (ICORR), 2009