The department offers undergraduate degree programs that lead to the Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering and the Bachelor of Science in Industrial Engineering. The educational objectives of the degree program curricula are to develop mechanical and industrial engineers who:
- Think critically, creatively and rigorously and employ engineering methods to identify and solve important problems in industry, business, government and academe.
- Communicate effectively and function cooperatively in professional contexts.
- Approach professional practice responsibly and ethically and with an awareness of business, environmental, safety, cultural, societal and global concerns.
- Demonstrate professional leadership.
- Employ their engineering education as a foundation for advanced study, lifelong learning and career development in engineering, management and other professional fields.
The freshman year curricula in the Mechanical Engineering and the Industrial Engineering degree programs are identical. The sophomore year curricula are nearly identical. During the junior and senior years students select required and elective courses relevant to their chosen major.