List of Honors by Individual Faculty Members
Dr. Erin Baker
- 2014 Distinguished Graduate Mentor Award
- The 2009 Campbell Watkins Energy Journal Best Paper Award
- NSF CAREER Award, 2008
- IEOR Advisor of the Year, 2005, 2006
- Runner-Up, Decision Analysis Society Student Award, INFORMS 2003
- Food Research Institute Fellowship, Stanford, 1995-1998
- Second Year Honors awarded to the most outstanding second-year mathematics student at U.C. Berkeley, 1984
Dr. Hari Balasubramanian
- IE Professor of the Year Award (student elected), 2012 and 2013
- NSF CAREER Award, 2013
General Chair, INFORMS Northeastern Regional Conference, Amherst, MA, May
- Program Chair, INFORMS Healthcare Conference, June 2013
- Area Editor, IIE Trasactions
Dr. Yossi Chait
- 2013, Lady Davis Fellow, the Technion, Haifa, Israel.
- 2008, Lady Davis Fellow, the Technion, Haifa, Israel.
- 2006, US patent #7,085,236, Active queue management for differentiated services.
- 2004, Fellow, American Society of Mechanical Engineers.
- 2002, Lady Davis Fellow, the Technion, Haifa, Israel.
- 2002, Academic Guest, Swiss Federal Institute of Technology, ETH, Zürich, Switzerland
- 2000, Honorary Member, Pi Tau Sigma.
- 2000, Outstanding Advisor Service Award, College of Engineering and Joint Student Engineering Societies
- 1996, Dutch Systems Network Professorship, Delft University of Technology, Delft, The Netherlands.
- 1996, Visiting Professor, Tel Aviv University, Tel Aviv, Israel.
Dr. Kourosh Danai
- Fellow of ASME, 2003
- Recipient of NASA Technical Innovation Award for the technical report "Detecting Faults in Helicopter Gearboxes by the MVIM Method,'' Aug. 1996.
- Recipient of NASA Technical Innovation Award for the technical report "Diagnosing Helicopter Gearboxes Using Connectionist Networks,'' Jan. 1997.
- Recipient of NASA Technical Innovation Award for the technical report ``Model-Based Placement of Gearbox-Monitoring Accelerometers,'' Jan. 1997.
- Professor of the year, Mechanical Engineering, Univ. of Massachusetts, 1987/88
- Professor of the year, Mechanical Engineering, Univ. of Massachusetts, 1992/93
- Professor of the year, Mechanical Engineering, Univ. of Massachusetts, 2006/07
- General Electric Outstanding Teaching Award, Univ. of Massachusetts, 1990/91
Dr. Donald L. Fisher
- Volpe National Transportation Systems Center, Cambridge, MA, Faculty Fellow, June 2013 –
- Liberty Mutual Best Paper Award, Ergonomics 2009, Juried by Editors of Ergonomics (Pradhan A K, Pollatsek A, Knodler M and Fisher D L, Can younger drivers be trained to scan for information that will reduce their risk in roadway traffic scenarios that are hard to identify as hazardous? Ergonomics, 52, 657 – 673).
- University of Massachusetts Amherst Foundation Board Award for Outstanding Achievement, 2008.
- Outstanding Advisor of the Year, Department of Mechanical and Industrial Engineering, University of Massachusetts at Amherst, 2007 – 2008
- Outstanding Senior Faculty Award, College of Engineering, University of Massachusetts, 2000
- Minority Engineering Program Recognition Award, Minority Engineering Program, College of Engineering, University of Massachusetts, 1997
- Outstanding Advisor Service Award, College of Engineering and Joint Student Engineering Societies, University of Massachusetts, 1996
- Outstanding Junior Faculty Award, College of Engineering, University of Massachusetts, 1986
- Dow Outstanding Young Faculty Award, American Society for Engineering Education, 1985
Dr. Joseph Goldstein
- 2011 Recipient, Award for Outstanding Accomplishments in research and creative activity, 7th annual Faculty Convocation, University of Massachusetts, 9/11
- Fellow of Microscopy Society of America “For his leadership in quantitative SEM and AEM x-ray microanalysis, in application of these tools to materials science, and in the education of generations of microscopists” - 8/10
- The Honor Society of Phi Kappa Phi for distinguished service to University of Massachusetts, 4/08.
- Duncomb Award for Excellence in Microanalysis, for Exceptional Science, Service, and Education to the Microanalysis Community, Microbeam Analysis Society – 8/08
- Chancellor’s Medal, University of Massachusetts – Distinguished Faculty Lecturer- 2/07
- Leonard Medal of the Meteoritical Society - honors outstanding contributions to the science of meteoritics and closely allied fields, announced 8/04, presentation and award 9/05
- Public Service Award, University of Massachusetts System, 2002
- Workforce Development Leader Award given by the Massachusetts Telecommunications Council, 2002
- Earnst Abbe memorial Award of the NY Microscopical Society, 2001.
- Asteroid named Joegoldstein in honor of the research work of Dr. Goldstein, fall 2000.
- Henry Clifton Sorby Award of the International Metallographic Society, 1999
- Honorary Member of the Microbeam Analysis Society, 1998
- J. F. Libsch Research Award, given to a Lehigh faculty member for outstanding research accomplishments, 1993.
- Presidential Science Award of the Microbeam Analysis Society, 1991.
- Bradley Stoughton Award of ASM, Lehigh Valley Chapter, 1986.
- Fellow American Society for Metals (ASM), 1986.
- Service Award, Microbeam Analysis Society, 1984.
- JEOL Award, given by the Microbeam Analysis Society for the best student paper at the annual meeting, 1979.
- Elected Honorary Member, Danish Metallurgical Society.
- Selected first T. L. Diamond Distinguished Professor of Metallurgy, 1976.
- Member Task Force "Solid State Bonding", U.S.-U.S.S.R. Cooperative Program on Special Electrometallurgy, 1975.
- National Environmental Research Council Senior Research Scientist Fellowship at Cambridge University, 1974.
- Coordinator U.S.-Japan Seminar on "The Electron Microprobe", sponsored by NSF, East West Center, Hawaii, September 3-8, 1973.
- Robinson Award presented to a young Lehigh faculty member for outstanding performance in the service of the University and unusual promise of professional achievement, 1970.
- Nininger Meteorite Award, "given to recent Ph.D. graduates presenting the best papers describing their original research on meteorites, 1965.
Dr. Ian R. Grosse
- 2003 ASME Computers and Information in Engineering Conference Best Paper award
- Outstanding Teaching Award, College of Engineering, University of Massachusetts, February 1993
- 1990 ASME International Computers in Engineering Conference Best Paper Award
Dr. Robert W. Hyers
- Brimacombe Medal, TMS (The Minerals, Metals, and Materials Society), 2012
- NASA Faculty Fellowship, 2012
- Ralph R. Teetor Educational Award, SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) International, 2008
- Professor of the Year, Mechanical Engineering, 2006 and 2005, University of Massachusetts, Amherst.
- Advisor of the Year, Mechanical Engineering, 2007 and 2004, University of Massachusetts, Amherst.
- Young Leader Intern, Extraction and Processing Division, 2005, TMS
- Editors’ Choice for Physics by Science (May 30, 2003, pp.1345-6) for our paper (Phys. Rev. Let. 90, 195504, May 2003).
- NASA Special Service Award, 2000 and 2001
Dr. Sundar Krishnamurty
- Fellow, American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME)
- Associate Editor, ASME Journal of Mechanisms & Robotics
- Editorial Board Member, The Scientific World Journal, Mechanical Engineering Section
- Certificates of Appreciation, Massachusetts Association of Occupational Therapists, 2007, 2008
- First Prize, “UMass-Therapeutic Systems,” Technology Innovation Competition, UMass-Amherst, Faculty Advisor of student Brian Mullen, 2007
- Finalist, Olympus Innovation Award, National Collegiate Inventors and Innovators Alliance, 2006
- Certificates of Appreciation, Massachusetts Association of Occupational Therapists
- Leadership Award, MIE Industrial Advisory Board
- In the News: Portable Seatbelt & Deep pressure Vest, CNN, Boston Globe, USA Today, National Public Radio, and several Regional, National, and International News Outlets
Dr. Matthew Lackner
- Best Paper Finalist, 30th ASME Wind Energy Symposium, Nashville, TN, 2012.
Best Wind Energy Paper, Journal of Solar Energy Engineering, 2009.
Dr. Jonghyun Lee
- Young Leader Professional Development Award, TMS, 2013
- Visualizing Research Award, Tufts University, 2012
- Massachusetts Space Grant Consortium Award, MIT, 2006
Dr. James F. Manwell
- The University of Massachusetts Distinguished Research Outreach Award in 2007
- American Wind Energy Association Academic Achievement Award in 1994 and 2006
- Western Reserve Academy’s Edward W. Morley Science Medal in 2005
- U. S. Department of Energy Wind Energy Regional Advocacy Award in 2004
- U. S. Department of Energy Wind/Diesel Systems Pioneer Award, 2002
Dr. Jenna Marquard
- NSF CAREER Award, 2012
- University of Massachusetts Amherst College of Engineering Barbara H. and Joseph I. Goldstein Outstanding Junior Faculty Award, 2012
- University of Massachusetts Amherst Team-Based Learning Fellowship, 2012-2013
- University of Massachusetts Amherst Lilly Teaching Fellowship, 2011-2012
- Industrial Engineering Professor of the Year, 2010, 2011
- Industrial Engineering Advisor of the Year, 2011, 2012
- National Science Foundation Graduate Research Fellowship, 2003-2006
- Best Poster Award, Tromso Telemedicine and eHealth Conference, 2004
- Presidential Scholar, University of Iowa, 1999
Engineering Excellence Scholar, University of Iowa College of Engineering, 1999
Dr. Ana Muriel
- 2017 IISE Best Track Paper, IISE Conference, Pittsburgh, PA.
- 2015 Leadership Award Finalist, Pratt & Whitney, E. Hartford, CT.
- 2015 Diversity Ally, College of Engineering, UMass Amherst
- 2009 INFORMS Moving Spirit Award.
- Premio Nacional de I+D en Logística Integral (National R&D Award in Logistics), 1er Congreso de Logística y Gestión de la Cadena de Suministro, Zaragoza, Spain, Sept.’07.
- Best Paper Award in the Closed Loop Supply Chain Track, POMS-Dallas, May 2007.
- “2007, 2010, 2013, and 2015 IE Advisor of the Year,” UMass Amherst.
- 2006-2007 Community Service Learning Fellow, University of Massachusetts Amherst.
- “2004 Meritorious Service Award,” Operations Research, An INFORMS Journal.
- Oberwolfach NSF Fellow, 2004.
- Ramón y Cajal Award, from the Ministry of Science and Technology in Spain, 2004.
- Nominated for 2003 and 2011 Distinguished Teaching Award, U. of Massachusetts.
- “2003 and 2009 IE Professor of the Year,” University of Massachusetts Amherst.
- National Science Foundation CAREER Award, 2002.
- “2001 Meritorious Service Award,” Operations Research, An INFORMS Journal.
Dr. Blair Perot
- J.M. Burgers Visiting Professor, Delft University of Technology, Netherlands, 2003-2004
- Lilly Fellowship, Center for Teaching, 2002-2003.
- Joseph Goldstein Award for Outstanding Junior Faculty, University of Massachusetts, 2002.
- College Outstanding Teacher Award, University of Massachusetts, 2002.
- College Outstanding Advisor Award, University of Massachusetts, 2000.
Dr. Ashwin Ramasubramaniam
- Department of Energy (DOE) Office of Science Early Career Research Program Award, 2013
- William N. Findley Award for the best paper on the “Mechanical Behavior of Materials,” Brown University, 2005
- Materials Research Society Graduate Student Silver Award, 2004
- University Fellowship, Brown University, 1999
Dr. James R. Rinderle
- College of Engineering, Outstanding Teaching Award, 2012
- MIE Department, Advisor of the Year Award, 2012
- MIE Department Teaching Award, 2011
- MIE Department Teaching Award, 2009
- MIE Department Teaching Award, 1997
- National Science Foundation Presidential Young Investigator Award, 1985
- Pi Tau Sigma, Mechanical Engineering Honorary Society, 1985
- Sigma Xi, Scientific Research Society, 1985
Dr. Jonathan Rothstein
- Received Professor of the Year Award from the Mechanical Engineering Department at the University of Massachusetts, 2012
- Received Professor of the Year Award from the Mechanical Engineering Department at the University of Massachusetts, 2011
- Arthur B. Metzner Early Career Award from the Society of Rheology in recognition of outstanding accomplishments in the field of rheology, 2009
- Barbara H. and Joseph I. Goldstein Outstanding Junior Faculty Award from the University of Massachusetts College of Engineering, 2007
- Received Office of Naval Research (ONR) Young Investigator Program (YIP) Award, 2006
- Received National Science Foundation (NSF) Faculty Early Career Development (CAREER) Award, 2006
- Received the Advisor of the Year Award from the Mechanical Engineering Department at the University of Massachusetts, 2006
- Received the Professor of the Year Award from the Mechanical Engineering Department at the University of Massachusetts, 2004
- With Erik Miller, received the Young Scientists Award within the RheofuturesTM Initiative 2004 for “outstanding and innovative contribution in the area of material characterization.”, 2004
- Received 3M Nontenured Faculty Award 2003 With Joshua Lampe received a University of Massachusetts Engineering Alumni Association scholarship for excellence in undergraduate student-faculty research projects, 2003
- Received the Frenkiel Award from the American Physics Society Division of Fluid Dynamics in recognition of significant contributions to fluid mechanics published in Physics of Fluids, 2002
Dr. David P. Schmidt
- Ralph R. Teetor Educational Award, Society of Automotive Engineering, 2009
- Awarded Fellowship by the Institute for Advanced Studies, University of Bologna, 2006
- Best Paper in Conference, ASME Internal Combustion Engine Division, 2003
- College of Engineering Commencement Speaker, 2003
- Student-selected Mechanical Engineering Professor of the Year, 2003
- Student-selected Mechanical Engineering Advisor of the Year, 2003
- Office of Naval Research Young Investigator Award, 2002
Dr. J. MacGregor Smith
- IE Professor of the Year Award 2005,2006,2007
- Best Paper Award, IIE Transactions on Manufacturing Systems (2004-2005) with Frederico Cruz
- Best Paper Award, Computational Optimization and Applications (2008) with P.M. Hahn, B.-J. Kim, M. Guignard, and Y.-R. Zhu
Patent No.: US 7,710,878 B1 Method and System for Allocating Traffic Demands in a Ring Network
Inventors: Peter Kubat and James MacGregor Smith Date of Patent: May 4, 2010.
Dr. Frank Sup
- 2009 IEEE International Conference on Rehabilitation Robotics Best Paper Award